Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Twins
Ellen and Sophie. Twins, yet we really just think of them as sisters. They are similar in lots of ways, but really have different personalities too. They appear to be pretty independent of one another and they really don't go around as a unit or only stick to one another. However there are sweet moments where I do see their bond come through. Walking into a new place together, for instance, and holding hands and looking out for one another. Sometimes I even forget that I have Corinne and twin girls because I really just think of them as our three daughters. But we've begun to talk about how special it is to be twins (not that Brett and I know...we certainly never knew a thing about twins until we had them!) They have begun to become more aware of their twin-ness as well. Now that their friends are more aware too, they've begun to be asked "Are you Ellen or are you Sophie?" It's always interesting to me, because I wonder what that feels like. And yet I'm sure they don't fully grasp the reason behind the questions...or maybe they do. We just haven't ever emphasized that they are twins, nor have we ever spoken of them being alike or looking alike. So I'm not sure if they realize how similar they look to other people (because we don't think so). And I'm not sure they think it's weird at all to be asked who's who. Only from my adult view do I wonder if that is strange. It is all they've known, and I'm glad. I want them to know that it is special to be a twin, that they are unique from one another and also special and unique as twins, too. I hope we can help them navigate being twins and all the cool and not so cool comparisons, questions, and issues it brings up, with grace and confidence in who God made them to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a beautifully written message about Ellen and Sophie and "twinness".
Not long ago, Sophie explained to me that "Ellen is a LITTLE older than me, just a little (with her thumb and pointer finger close together), two minutes!"
What a great perspective. I love their individuality as well as their twin-ness. I look forward to seeing them grow, each in her special way, and also seeing them discover their special bond. I'm thankful for E and S every day.
Post a Comment