Monday, May 18, 2009

On the Run

Some of you who know me know that over the past year and a half I have taken up running with a new tenacity. (Only by my standards, mind you. I have not done any marathons, half marathons, or anything of the sort.) It's just been a steady commitment to running 3 miles at least 3-4 times per week. Brett has been wonderful about putting Corinne to bed on these evenings, or watching her on weekends in order to make time for my runs. I have really enjoyed it, and can say that I am in the best shape I've been in since playing soccer in high school (thanks, also, to Jillian Michaels). I feel great and it's gotten to the point where I need to do it on any given day, or I just don't feel productive. Several years back I was into running like this, and ended up doing five 5k races in the span of that many months. Recently I was remembering this after my friend and I completed a 5k together, and we decided that we would try and do as many 5ks this year as our time, families, and budget would allow for! So on Friday night I spontaneously decided to do a 5k in our neighborhood, in conjunction with the annual Kilgour Carnival kickoff. It was a lot of fun, and even better because I set a new personal record on an extremely tough (read: hilly) course. My hope is to continue to see my times decrease with each race. And my reason for posting about it is that now I will have to be accountable. You see, I've never been a "runner". That is not me. I don't have long lean runner legs, nor is it in my genes. This is something that I've done solely to get in shape and to feel better about myself. I hope to one day do a half marathon, but for now I am content doing the 5k circuit.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I'd love to run one with you sometime! Let me know when something's coming up.
Jenn Cz

aunt laura said...

It will be fun to run with you & Marce in Brooklyn later this year. Maybe the Turkey Trot this year too! And of course, you can come run with me in SF anytime. It is a beautiful city to run. xo

The McClains said...

Yea, my 5K buddy!! I'm excited for our year 'o 5Ks! Don't forget to stretch your hammies and stay limber ... no injuries allowed! ;-)

Amy Samad said...

I am glad you posted this! Jodi was asking last week if you were still running. She is looking for a partner to run with in the Thanksgiving Day race. Are you interested? She would love to have someone to keep her accountable too.

Betsy said...

For all my running friends: May 30 is the RedLegs Run which ends inside Great American Ballpark (on the field). I believe it's at 9am and Lauren and I are already set for it. Anyone else is welcome!

Amy--I am hoping to do the Turkey Trot but will have to up my running schedule, I think. My sisters may be in town to do it, too. If Jodi is doing it tell her that it's a definite possibility for me, and if so we could all run together!

marce said...

Looking forward to a run (or two?) this weekend, Bets, and in the Turkey Trot

geri said...

Keep up the good work, I am living vicariously through you!! :) And the race ending in the stadium sounds awesome! But then it ends in a baseball stadium, really, how cool is that! Good luck and have fun!