Friday, October 24, 2008

Love-Hate Relationship


'Hate' may be a little strong...but the truth is, the last 10 months have been rough on Lilly, our cat. She has most definitely been dethroned from her place of greatness in our family. Mine and Brett's devotion to her has...well...waned (to put it nicely). At times it has probably seemed non-existant to our once beloved cat. But, such is life. Corinne has stolen the show and she is the one we dote on and give our attention to these days. (And can you blame us? Just look at her!) However, Corinne LOVES Lilly! She crawls excitedly after her at break-neck speed and many times Lilly runs away just when Corinne arrives. Perhaps that is because Corinne tries to eat Lilly. Yes, Corinne falls right onto the cat and opens her mouth wide for a taste of our furry friend, Lilly. Or, Corinne opts to pull Lilly's hair. So I am working on the meaning of "petting" versus "pulling". I model it, we practice it together, Corinne tries it...and she sometimes gets it right. (See, I'm putting my teaching degree to good use! Model, practice, reinforce...) At any rate, Lilly is a wonderful source of joy, laughter, and endless smiles for Corinne. I hope that one day Lilly will love Corinne, too. For now it's a bit of a tenuous relationship!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Lilly. I remember back in the day when Lilly was featured in the family Christmas card photo the year that Betsy and Brett got married. I guess that was the apex of Lilly's golden era!

But I do think she and Corinne will become buddies. Once Corinne learns how to interact with Lilly, Lil is going to get all kinds of good attention that'll make up for having been ignored of late.