Saturday, September 18, 2010

Corinne

As I've alluded to in other blog posts, Little C's imagination has been growing and expanding, developing and stretching, like crazy the past few months! She loves for us to act out fairy tales, books we've read, and even real life experiences like pretending she's Mrs. Bruemmer, her music teacher (and I'm her student). Sometimes she even wants to act out Curious George and The-Man-With-The-Yellow-Hat! It's fun and so so great to hear her ideas and get a glimpse into what her little mind is thinking about, soaking up, and working out. Her language skills are impressive I'm told (although you usually have to be a familiar face to hear it), and this makes her pretend play even more fascinating to watch and listen to. Plus, it's great timing since the twins are still small and need us/me for chunks of time. She never gets tired of being Snow White, even though I may tire of being the Queen, the peddler woman, the dwarves, and (yes!) the prince. I'd say there's a good chance Corinne will be Snow White for Halloween if I can find a costume. Otherwise, Cinderella might be a close 2nd! She is into EVERYTHING "princess". She has those little Polly Pocket Disney princesses and they are her absolute favorite thing to play with. Period.

Some other things about Corinne lately...she will only wear dresses! Yes, we've hit that stage! I can't tell you the last time she wore a pair of shorts, pants or a skirt. It must have been June sometime. Good thing I do laundry daily because she chooses the same dress all the time, too. It's pink, of course. She mostly wants Brett to put her to bed lately. It bums me out, but then again it's a chance for me to get a jump on any number of things: laundry, running the dishwasher, picking up the house, going for a run before it gets dark, grocery shopping...you name it! When I do put her to bed (and Brett reports the same thing), we ask her what she wants to thank God for that day. She has her list and it only rarely changes. It always goes something like this: toy-time, dance-time, and play-time. When we ask her who she wants to thank God for, it is as follows: Mommy, Daddy, Corinne, Mimi, Memaw, Ellen, Sophie. Sometimes we might get a Pop-Pop or a Grandpa Schatz.
Corinne gets her own milk from the fridge. She still sucks her thumb (except at Sunday School and music class....that's my rule). She uses the potty sometimes...that's my fault. I haven't gotten firm on that yet. I just can't be consistent on it at this point, with the twins still so small. I'm thinking this winter we'll tackle it. She's not into artsy things. Only once in a while can I get her to paint or draw; it's very rare. She would much rather dance, run outside, or pretend we're princesses in a fairy tale. She knows our address, her birthdate, my age, Brett's age, the states where Aunt Marcey, Aunt Laura, her cousin Emma, and her cousin Rachel all (respectively) live. She knows the street Memaw lives on, too.


Corinne's terrible two/tantrum days are mostly in the past...though she still has her moments. Not the meltdowns we were having, though. I think things have smoothed out so much since the twins' arrival and it's a good feeling to know that she's doing well and is still secure in her place in the family. Not that I don't still worry when both Brett and I have to hold the twins the last hour or so before they go to bed...but it's gotten tons better and for that I am so thankful! We usually spend that time outside, and then Corinne is in her element anyway so she doesn't seem to notice when we are each holding a baby. Outside does wonders for us all, doesn't it?! And Corinne loves Ellen and Soph. She holds their hands, pats their heads, holds them, gives them hugs & kisses, and is starting to take more of an interest in them. When they cry she tells them, "You're okay, Ellen." Or, "It's okay, Soph, we're almost home!"

So Little C is doing just fine. In no time I'm sure she'll be casting Ellen and Sophie as people in her imaginary world, too! That will be interesting, I'm sure.

3 comments:

aunt laura said...

Wonderful update. The outdoors does wonders for me too. I can't wait to see Corinne & her sisters next month.

aunt laura said...

Wonderful update. The outdoors does wonders for me too. I can't wait to see Corinne & her sisters next month.

aunt marce said...

How fun! What a great update on our little Princess Corinne. I can't wait for my casting call. Does anyone besides Corinne get to play Snow White? I'll settle for the role of Cinderella.

Love that girl.