Monday, July 7, 2008

Books

This is a picture of our couch after Corinne and I got done doing some reading together the other day! So this pile of books inspired me to share my amazement with you over Corinne's keen interest and enjoyment of reading -- even at this young age. (And, no, I am not exagerrating!) We began reading to her when she was just a few weeks old and it seemingly had no effect at the time, though we continued to do it anyway. But by the time Corinne was just two or three months old she was noticing the pictures and showing interest in the books we were reading to her. And now...it's like magic! Corinne sees the words and tracks with us from left to right and she knows how to turn the pages of the book (when she's not busy trying to eat them). Books completely calm her down and quiet her, totally captivating her attention. It really is just the neatest thing! Plus, I just loving having her in my lap and sharing that time together. I had no idea that she could or would be so into books this early on, but I am so glad that she loves to "read" with us. Lately we definitely have a strong preference for Sandra Boynton books because they're silly, bright, colorful, and entertaining. Although Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? is a more recent addition to our library and it's quickly becoming a new favorite (thanks, Aunt Marcey)! Anyway, I guess I share this because it's all so fascinating to me. And I hope it encourages all of us to read more with our kids, and to appreciate the power of reading. Such a simple thing, but such a tremendous gift. I must admit, even as a teacher I never knew just how early books could have an impact!

5 comments:

Mike & Megan said...

I love this post! I agree...books are so important and the time we spend reading is very special. Luke shares Corinne's love of Sandra Boynton, his favorite is "Moo, Baa, La, La, La!" Of course besides reading it he also likes to chew on it! I know that eventually he'll do more reading than chewing! Isn't it fun to watch our babies grow?!
Love,
Megan

Anonymous said...

I can atest to the fact that Corinne does indeed like books and truly focuses on them. I remember the night I read a pop-up book to her for the first time. Corinne was so startled and then very intent as each page was turned. Now when we get out the pop-up books Corinne is waiting for the movement - AND trying to grab the characters!

What a great mommy Corinne has - Betsy is doing such a wonderful job, much better than Grammy did.

Really llike the family pictures you have been adding - like the zoo train ride and the one last week.

Love, Grammy

Anonymous said...

Betsy,
It looks like you have quite a collection started. You are giving such a gift! Enjoy!

Shauna said...

It's great that you've been reading to Corinne since the beginning - most parents don't realize what an important connection reading can be with babies (and that it is VERY good for language & brain development). And now that she's more aware, it's truly fun for her (and you too)! Sandra Boynton books are great because they're short and easy to memorize!

Charlotte loves being read to (and has for a long time), although there was a period when she was really on the go (crawling and early walking) when she couldn't sit long enough to get through a book, because she was just too excited about other things. This period was short lived and now at 29 months she can sit for 30 minutes reading with us and has memorized many of her favorite books so that she can "read" to us.

Anonymous said...

I think it's so cool that Corinne likes to read already. As Shauna said it will have a huge and positive effect on her in so many ways, including her language and cognitive development.

Also, I bet that Corinne likes reading not just because of the books, but for the same reason that Betsy likes to read to Corinne -- the quiet time of cuddling and being close to Mommy, Daddy, Grandma Jeanne, or Grandma Sharon.