Friday, March 4, 2011

Time with Friends



Truth be told, we haven't gotten out much these last 10 months since the twins' arrival. At least not during the week when Brett's at work. Logistically it is very difficult to do any sort of meaningful shopping, not to mention packing up and coraling two babies and a toddler to get to our destination. And now with Corinne using the potty...you get the picture. It's just not simple. However, my dear friend Kris was in town recently and I was feeling ambitious, having a good bit of cabin fever as well, and so we ventured out to meet her at an indoor play area. Well, it rained that day--wouldn't you know. But I was determined. I put E & S in the stroller to get them inside from the car (no small or quick feat in and of itself in rainy weather... and all just to get 100 yards or so). But we made it! However Ellen and Soph had a tough time, to say the least. They cried off and on while there--new faces, Kris holding them (stranger!), plus general discomfort with Sophie who got a tooth that night, and Ellen who is my severely stranger shy babe. They did finally play a little on the floor, but I was defeated and yet excited all at the same time. Defeated since E & S had such a hard time (clearly everyone knew we don't get out much!) but excited because I did it. All. By. My. Self. Ahh. What a victory. Other than packing the kids up to take them to my mom's or Brett's mom's I don't think I've ever taken them anywhere all by myself. A victory. Never mind that Corinne didn't want to be in any of the pictures, nor the fact that it was time to get the babies home to feed them almost as soon as we got there. A phase. I keep telling myself it won't last forever! And it was great to see Kris and her sweet girls (so grown up I can hardly believe it!) even if our conversation was in spurts.

3 comments:

Aunt Lala said...

Sorry it was so hard, but proud of you for taking everyone out. Now you know you can do it and it can only get easier.

Mimi said...

Great job, mommy! It will get easier each time you tackle the crew all by yourself!

aunt marce said...

V is for victory! Great job, Bets. You're the best! I am truly impressed. It wasn't easy, but at least you know it is doable.