Friday, December 23, 2011

Copy Cats



Lately whenever Ellen does something, Sophie wants to do it, too. It also works the other way--when Sophie does something, Ellen wants to, too. This is maddening at times and cute at others. It's cute when they copy each other "feeding" their babies (like in above photos). But when one heads toward me and wants to be picked up and held, and the other anticipates that move and races to also be held -- even trying to beat the other to the punch -- it becomes just plain hard! I'm working on just enjoying each moment of each day. But we're in a stage of the girls wanting me to themselves -- my lap, my arms, reading a book just to one -- and some days I want to throw up my hands. Also because Ellen and Sophie are very proficient tantrum throw-ers. It never ceases to amaze me when Ellen throws herself on the floor. I still think to myself, "Is that really my child?!" I am thankful that it has humbled me as a mom, as more than once I have been that mom, with that child, walking across the parking lot or leaving storytime with a toddler who is going nuts and throwing a tantrum for any number of reasons. This was NEVER my experience with Corinne. But now I get it. Kids are kids, no matter what. You can put firm boundaries in place, discipline them with tough love, pray for and teach them to be good-mannered, etc and they can still embarass you and act out. I am humbled and frequently remind people that there is no judgement from this mom. Nope. I've been there, too. (Sophie in purple)

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Sophie and Ellen get cuter all the time! They are following in big sister Corinne's foot steps! That is why they are "three little angels".

geri said...

Betsy - just remember when they have their "moments" that "this too shall pass" you are doing a GREAT job with all three girls and I so admire it. I mean you have me beat since I held at one :)
Merry Christmas!

Aunt Marcey said...

Despite all of that, all three girls get LOTS of great attention from both Mommy and Daddy -- and a bunch of other people who love them a whole lot. And as a result, they are sweet, loving little girls in return. You two are doing an amazing job as parents and it shows. I guess that sometimes it's easier to see from the outside than from inside the 'craziness.' So I'll be sure to remind you frequently.

Love,
Aunt Marce

Aunt Laura said...

I love watching the girls grow up. They are going to do so many things and change so much as they each become their own person. And some of it is bound to be hard. Shoot, it's still hard for me sometimes. But mostly they are adorable and I love them so.