Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Our Dilemma

2010 was going to be the year that Brett would (finally) get his new car. He's been driving around (I'm embarassed to even say) a 1997 Toyota Camry for way too long! Don't worry--he has chosen to drive it this long...patiently waiting for the right time to get the car he's always wanted. Well, he came very close to picking out just that...until the news of the twins came along! Poor guy. It looks like he'll have to wait for his car until we are out of the "3 car seat season of life." I feel awful! But he really hasn't complained, he's been a great sport. Afterall, anything is better than his Camry, right?! Definitely, yes! But this has also presented quite a dilemma for us because Brett has always been adamant about the fact that he will NEVER EVER own a minivan. And if we were having only one child in May then he would still be on track for his new car and life would go on as normal. But now that we are expecting two to go along with Little C, we have to not only look at a "family" car...but possibly (gasp!) a minivan. Ugh. Not exactly the car of my dreams, either. But at least I'm a bit more open to it (since I'll be the one dealing with the convenience and ease--or lack thereof). However, Brett's manliness is under attack here and matters are only made worse because he has suddenly fallen from the snazzy, luxury sedan category to the verge of his all-time nemesis: the possiblity of purchasing a minivan. And here's where the dilemma comes in: he has done the research and found that some Chevy Tahoes have captain seats in the second row, thereby providing a similar configuration to the inside of a minivan. Now we realize there are some space trade-offs here if we go with the Tahoe, but a dealer allowed him to drive one home the other day and it is definitely doable. Not super easy. Not totally convenient. Not cheap. But doable with 3 carseats, and thereby a definite option. Brett is totally struggling with this decision. He has listened to the cons, the points that I brought up that he hadn't thought of, and has had an open mind. But geez, the Tahoe is a nice ride and he has fallen for it hard. If he's not going to get his choice of sedan, this would go a long way in making up for it! So, no decision yet. We are going to give a minivan a fair shake by looking at those, too. But right now my totally practical (sometimes even cheap) husband is having an extremely hard time with this one. We'd love it if you'd vote in our poll at the sidebar of our blog, as we're curious to see the results. And leave your comments, too, if you have some words of wisdom, experience, or just want to weigh in. (No promises that we'll go with the majority!!)

10 comments:

Aunt Marcey said...

Oh, Poor Brett! I feel for you.

Here are a few random thoughts:

1) The Tahoe sounds fun, but I'm pretty sure that day in and day out, when it really comes down to it, the minivan will be so much easier and more convenient to use when carting around three little kids and all their attendant "accessories" -- grandparents, bikes, pack'n'plays, bags, toys, who knows what ... in ways you probably won't even realize until you are driving it. Plus, minivans are very safe (more so than SUVs).

2) Rest assured that no one will question your manliness b/c you are driving a minivan. After all, you got Bets knocked up with twins! : )

3) People won't notice the minivan because they'll be envious of what's in it: A beautiful family. Seriously.

4) I am assuming Bets would be driving the minivan most of the time, so you'd get the Highlander! (Some consolation.)

5) When Corinne turns 16, you can enjoy handing her the keys to the minivan, which she'll hate. Every parent loves that, right?

6) You just have to survive with a minivan for about 5 years, maybe less! (As long as you don't have more kids. : ) See comment #2.

7) But when it comes down to it, if you really want the Tahoe, go for it!

Calley said...

You can't beat a minivan. I never wanted one. Neither did Matt. But, we were in love after the first day. So sad, but so true. It will make your life infinitely easier, Bets. Trust me!

Matt said...

I was a car snob (still am, actually). I never wanted a minivan, but alas, we needed the seating capacity. Because it provided the greatest flexibility and ease of access, better handling and fuel economy, superior safety stats, etc., we bit the bullet and got a Toyota Sienna. And I LOVE it. Brett, swallow your pride. (Besides, SUVs are SO last decade.)

Matt said...

Oh, and we SOLD our SUV (my beloved Jeep Cherokee) to get the minivan. Insult to injury. But still, I don't regret it.

Mimi/aka Grammy said...

I vote for whatever daddy decides. He is the BEST!

The McClains said...

Ha ha ha ... you are totally getting a minivan. ;-)

aunt laura said...

So you can't fit 3 car seats in the Highlander? I love station wagons, but would never drive a minivan. ; ) And Dad told me to never say never.

Seriously, buy whatever you want for whatever reason you want. And if you buy a minivan, you don't have to keep it forever (just for the car seat years I guess).

FYI VW has new minivan on the market.

The Brooks Family said...

What did you decide? Miss you! Oh yeah... I need to see a belly shot since I live out of town and don't get to see you!

Love, Kris

aunt marce said...

Agreed, Kris! We need to see photos.

Unknown said...

I got nothing on the car choice, but where are the belly shots????
-- leah

minivans are cool...automatic doors, movie players, under storage seats!!!
-anna