Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Room for Two

Welcome to the guest room- turned twins' room! Our plan all along was to keep Corinne in her room, even though this room is twice as big. I felt kind of funny about that--but isn't it cool how God has a way of knowing what's best! Now we know why this room is twice as big...because there will be two babies instead of one. Perfect size! And, we've been blessed to borrow and re-do things we already had in order to avoid buying new furniture for the room. I think it's turned out well. I like to say that practically speaking, we are ready for the twins! Mentally, we're getting there. We're excited for sure, but anxious, too, yet ready to get on with this adventure. It will undoubtedly be a challenging season for our family, but we are trusting that we can do it with some super-natural strength from God and help from family.
With Corinne's move to her toddler bed, we were able to put her crib in the twins' room. I am so so thankful that her transition to the toddler bed has been seamless and smooth these last 2 months!
And a friend who has older twins generously let us borrow this solid oak crib! We are incredibly grateful for all the people who have loaned us what we need to make life with twins work for us.
A dresser that we already had will be the changing table. It was recommended to us that we put up a white board on the wall to scribble feeding, medication, and general notes for the twins so that any caregiver (aka Grandmas) can easily refer to it when helping and bleary-eyed in the middle of the night. Notice there is a Baby A and Baby B side (for now--names will be replacing that soon!)
Thanks goodness for a huge closet! Brett added even more shelving than what was already there, and my dear Monday Night girlfriends surprised me with tons of diapers and wipes to fill up the shelves and help us stock up for the first stretch of weeks. Thanks, girls! You're the best!
In an effort to use things we already had, my mom and I decided to use two rockers that we've had in the family for the twins' room. We re-painted the first rocker white (it was previously a red color) and I picked out fabric to make new cushions for each. The second rocker I was actually rocked in when I was a baby! (You should have seen the material it was covered in...trust me, a huge improvement). I think the rockers turned out well, and thanks to mom's sewing skills they now have matching fabric. And even better: each one matches a respective crib, too!My dear friend, Susan, is the craftiest person I know! She is extremely talented and over the years she has blessed so many friends with beautiful baby blankets made with her own time, creativity, and talent. (Check out her work over at http://www.oleybobbin.com/) She surprised me recently with these adorable baby blankets for the twins! They are not identical, but very similiar and both are just perfect for the twins. Below are pictures of the front and back sides, and wouldn't you know--she incorporated the exact bedding I picked out without even knowing it. Turns out she bought the same sheet over a year ago...and then used it for our girls' blankets! Amazing. Thanks, Susan, for the many gorgeous things you've made for Corinne over the years, and now the twins, too!

6 comments:

aunt laura said...

Great to see the room & the closet is ready for the girls. It looks great... And I'm praying for you guys too. xoxo

The McClains said...

Beautiful room! I love the way you combined the white furniture with the wood. The babies are going to have a cozy place to come home to!

Aunt Marce said...

The babies' room looks beautiful, Bets! Wow -- what a great transformation. Once again, a comfy, cozy room put together with love awaits an important arrival (or two). Seeing the photos has taken my excitement up a notch! I cannot wait to meet these sweet baby girls (but nevertheless praying they come at just the right time for them and you).

Love to you 3 + plus 2,

Aunt Marce

Mimi said...

You guys did a great job on the twins room! I am excited for the upcoming twin adventure.

My Mimi joy is about to triple with the arrival of the girls.

The Brooks Family said...

Precious, precious, precious! Love it! And, yes, Susan did a beautiful job on those blankets...so impressed!

Oh, it makes me sad not to live in town to live life with you and watch all your girls grow!

Love ya! See ya soon!
Kris

Unknown said...

The room looks wonderful! I've really enjoyed hearing about all the milestones and changes taking place for you guys. I will be thinking of you a lot as you get farther along in your pregnancy and I'm certainly getting excited to meet babies A and B! :)