Sunday, October 2, 2011

Books!




We love to read around here! Corinne still loves to sit on our lap to read book after book after book...after book. Reading has been a slightly different experience for Ellen and Sophie though they do (thankfully) still like to read. I'd say only about half of the time they are "reading" books they are doing it in our laps--and even then they might only have half a lap. (But usually they strategically wait until there is a free lap so that they don't have to share) The other half of the time they are enjoying a book by themselves. They will sit and page through it, gawk at it, point excitedly, or silently read it by themselves either off in a corner, on a pillow (as Ellen is doing above) or next to us while we're busy with someone or something else. So I caught a few instances of the girls reading independently for you to see. On a related but separate note, I also love to read but have had little time over the last year to do so. It's only the last few months that I've found the time to finish some good books...and it has been so wonderful. Brett even got on a reading kick over the summer and for a while there we each spent time reading before bed. (Isn't that what all the research says you're supposed to do before bed? Not watch TV or email or text or surf the Internet because it aids in helping you fall asleep--not that I have ever had a problem with that though). But I must say it is so refreshing. And I'm looking for a book to read currently so if you can recommend one I'd love it!

5 comments:

The McClains said...

I read "The Help" while I was on bedrest and loved it! It is an easy read and a page turner. Also, there is a new movie adaptation of the book that just came out. Maybe we could have a girls nite and rent the movie together after you finish the book?! :-) (p.s. Yes, Gwyn, loves the Plaidypus book! I think I have read it at least a dozen times already!)

Betsy said...

Thanks, Lauren. I read The Help over the summer too! I can't wait to see the movie...let's do it! And maybe I should've listed the books I've finished so people can tell me other ones. RecentIy I've read Heaven is For Real, Dancing With Max, The Help, and Sarah's Key.

Aunt Marce said...

I love that your house is filled with great books and that they are always close by ... someone is always reaching for a book, it seems. All three girls, I have noticed, are very inquisitive and curious, too. Maybe their love of books and their curious natures go hand in hand.

Bets: I would recommend "Cutting for Stone" ... you can borrow mine if I can ever finish it!

geri said...

Angella too loved books when she was little (and still does). One fun thing to look forward too is when Corinne gets a little older you will be able to read chapter books with her. I think the first one that I read to Angella was Heidi. And when she learned to read we use to take turns reading chapters to each other. ...geri

Aunt Laura said...

It makes me so happy that the girls love books. Reading is one of my favorite pastimes -- and always has been. I love reading with kids too. These days it is a luxury that I wish I had more time for.