Thursday, July 8, 2010

Break in the Day

I flew solo a few days this week--no help at all. Just me and my 3 girls. It felt great to do it all on my own, but I must say it is completely exhausting! And I feel like I am spoiled with the best possible babies, so I can't imagine what it would be like if the twins had health issues, sleeping issues, and/or feeding issues, as is many times the case. We remind ourselves daily how blessed we have been. But it also makes me feel like I "should" be able to do all of this with ease because there are people who have way harder situations. And I guess the reality is that I can do it, and I am doing it, but no matter what the circumstance it doesn't change the basics: there is only one of me all day long to do double feedings, change diapers, read and play with Corinne...and the list goes on. So after a morning of feeding the twins, putting them down for naps and getting them back up to repeat the cycle--with a little time in there for just C and I to play on the 3rd floor and around the house--we needed a little "pick me up". So we decided to have a special lunch outside on the patio. Our choice: breakfast for lunch, a favorite around here. Scrambled eggs, waffles and blueberries. We used party plates and napkins and just enjoyed a break in the day from all the madness inside. Thankfully E & S nap really well at that time in the day so it was time for just the two of us. We marveled at the butterfly that flew by us as we ate and then (of course) did some running around in the front yard...because it's Corinne's absolute favorite outdoor activity. (Are there track teams for 2 year olds? I mean, seriously!) And then later we played in the sprinkler a bit to cool off, too. Red cups always make water more fun! I am so so thankful for times that just the two of us can be together. It makes me feel better about the rest of the day when my time is taken up elsewhere.

5 comments:

aunt marce said...

Flying solo already?! Wow. Great job Bets. But -- don't think that anyone expects you to be able to do that all the time.

And I just love your creative ideas for lunch and playtime with Corinne. (I would never have thought of that!) You are such an amazing mom. Your three girls are so lucky.

I love you,

Marce

aunt marce said...

P.S. -- I'd love to see that kid of yours in a tumbling/gym class. She'd love it! (Maybe even more than music class.)

The McClains said...

Way to go, Bets! You are a great mommy! So clever and creative in spending time and making your limited one-on-one time w/little C special. :)

Mimi said...

No wonder Corinne is so well adjusted and the twins are such good babies, they have a terrific mommy (and daddy).

Aunt Laura said...

Bravo. And what a brilliant idea: party plates, eat out side, your favorite lunch, etc.

xoxo